As we become more aware of the importance of greener living, we become attuned to the many small ways we can make a difference. With so much information out there about this important topic, we thought we’d share these 10 simple steps you can implement in your apartment home, and in your everyday lives.
Greener Living is Better Living!
- Shed the light- with the right kind of lightbulb! By switching to Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs, you can save money and light your apartment home more efficiently. According to Energy.gov, the average household spends 5% of its energy budget on lighting.
- Don’t cool and heat areas that are not in use. Close up heating and cooling vents to spare bedrooms. That includes walk-in closets that contain mostly clothes and shoes. Items like photos, records, and family heirlooms might need more of a temperature-controlled environment, but for the most part, closets don’t need to be cooled and heated.
- Switch to chemical free and biodegradable cleaning products. It’s better for the earth, your body, and your pets, too! EPA.gov offers some helpful suggestions for choosing greener products.
- Get a “green thumb” and invest in some indoor plants. Indoor plants help to purify the air you breathe in addition to improving the overall décor! Consider planting a few windowsill plants and herb gardens for some easily accessible spices when cooking!
- Make sure you have a surge protector to help protect your electronic devices against power spikes. The all-in-one strip makes it easy to turn off devices when not in use.
- Go strawless! Straws are one of the top single-use plastics that end up in the ocean. The easy alternative to this is buying fun, reusable metal or wooden straws. It’s win-win!
- Purify your own water. Brita and other similar brands are the way to go. Bottled water is both expensive and damaging to the environment. A Brita purifier is not only cheap, it will save you money while simultaneously helping our environment.
- Does your air filter need replacing? Check with your leasing office or maintenance manager for scheduling. Optimizing your air conditioning unit keeps the air clean and saves you money!
- Shop your local Farmer’s Market and support organic farming- but make sure not to overbuy. According to the EPA, “Most people don’t realize how much food they throw away every day — from uneaten leftovers to spoiled produce. About 95 percent of the food we throw away ends up in landfills or combustion facilities.”
- Conserve water. Don’t run the dishwasher until it’s full and try to do full loads of laundry as often as you can.
Going green isn’t just a trend, it’s a positive lifestyle change. You can make a significant difference in the world here and here at Weidner, we support and encourage everyone to “live green!”
-The Weidner Team