18 Awesome Things to Do In & Around Anchorage, AK
Despite the large size and population of the city, Anchorage can feel like a much smaller town. During the long summer days, locals soak up the sun while they walk, bike and ride, enjoy outdoor festivals and concerts, and picnic in the parks. When winter comes, they bundle up and embrace the cold – skiing, snowboarding, skating and snowmachining their way through the chilly months.
There’s so much to do in Anchorage – from exploring museums and learning about native culture, to hiking and reveling in the natural wonders that surround you – you’ll never run out of adventures.
Here are 18 awesome things to in the Anchorage area:
- ATV excursions – Venture into Alaska's backcountry as you ride ATVs and view spectacular glaciers, mountains, scenery and wildlife.
- Biking – Enjoy the scenery during a relaxing ride along paved coastal trails, tear it up on a rugged mountain bike path, or join a guided tour that ends in a visit to a local brewery.
- Breweries – Or you can skip the bike ride and go straight to the source to explore Anchorage’s thriving craft beer scene.
- Day cruises – Take to the water to gain a unique vantage point into Alaska's natural beauty and wildlife, from massive tidewater glaciers and sloping beaches to whales, orcas, sea otters, and more.
- Dining – In Alaska, fresh seafood is a highlight on any menu – from shrimp, crab, salmon, halibut, and mussels – it’s sourced from some of the most pristine waters on the planet. And, from homestyle to elegant restaurants, you’ll find delicious menu choices to please every palate.
- Events and festivals – Anchorage hosts several iconic events, from festivals and concerts to marathons, sled races and more. Especially popular is the Anchorage July 4th Celebration, a day-long event on the Delaney Park Strip.
- Fishing Charters – Fly to stay in a remote lodge and partake in world-class fishing in pristine Alaskan waters.
- Flightseeing – Soar in a plane to witness some of the wildest, most stunning areas of Alaska, including Denali, the glaciers of Prince William Sound, and Kenai Fjords National Park.
- Glacier Tours – Whether by air, boat, snowmachine, or on foot, don’t miss seeing Alaska’s spectacular glaciers.
- Hiking trails – Stay in Anchorage for some great hiking, biking, and walking trails. Just outside the city limits, immerse yourself in nature by choosing from a huge variety of trail systems, from short and easy to long and strenuous. Or hire a local guide to share their knowledge of the local landscape and wildlife.
- Historic/cultural sites – Anchorage has a fascinating history, from its diverse Native cultures, to the Gold Rush and early development. Visit cultural centers around Anchorage, and visit historic sites to learn more about our unique city.
- Museums – Another great way to appreciate our city’s history? Visit museums to discover the stories of Alaska’s First People, art exhibits, our aviation history, and to participate in interactive displays.
- Panning for gold – Get your hands dirty as you pan for gold nuggets or flakes like a prospector, and learn firsthand about the history of the Gold Rush in our region.
- Performances and plays – Anchorage has several year-round theaters where you can catch award-winning productions, comedy shows, and concerts.
- Shopping – There are plenty of malls where you can shop for your favorite brands, as well as local shops, boutiques and markets that sell unique gifts and handcrafted souvenirs.
- Photography – Anchorage abounds with photo ops, from bustling farmers markets to quiet wildlife shots and everything in between. If you want to improve your skills and explore incredible destinations, join a tour with a focus on teaching photography skills.
- Whitewater rafting – Planning a rafting trip? Pick the right style for you: choose a whitewater adventure or a scenic float trip – either is a great way to immerse yourself in the gorgeous Alaska wilderness in a memorable way.
- Wildlife viewing spots – Select a guide to take you to the best birding spots, moose habitats, salmon spawning sites and bear hangouts.
If you’re ready to move to Alaska and need a spacious affordable apartment in Anchorage in a beautiful location surrounded by green space, contact us today. We’re here to schedule your personal tour and help you find the perfect apartment to call home.