Green Living: Make Your Apartment Environmentally Friendly
Wondering how to make your lifestyle more environmentally friendly? It’s easier than you think. You can start at home, right in your own apartment. All it takes is making a few small changes by getting rid of some old habits and adding some new little things here and there.
Here are a few ways you can start to make your apartment more eco-friendly:
Make little changes
- Switch to energy-saving light bulbs. How do you save energy and cut down your utility bills? Start by switching your light bulbs. In the past few years, new light-bulbs have been developed to provide bright and soft lighting and while staying energy-efficient. Here’s a list by the Energy Department which best describes bulbs and lighting choices to save money.
- Use rags for cleaning instead of paper towels. We use plenty of disposable products that are made from our precious trees. While it is tough to get rid of our paper usage, you can always choose reusable over disposable options. Instead of using paper towels for cleaning, buy rags or make your own by cutting up old cotton shirts or towels.
Develop new habits
- Turn off the AC/heater when you aren't home. Some of us may want our apartment to be at a specific temperature by when we get back home, but air-conditioning units actually release tons of carbon dioxide. This creates the greenhouse emission gases that are damaging the Earth’s ozone layer. By turning off the AC more often, you'll help protect the ozone and your energy bill will go down significantly!
- Buy natural cleaning products. The current most frequently sought-after cleaning products are mostly made up of lots of harsh chemicals that pollute our water and harm our health. Plenty of brands have started to offer alternative in the form of more sustainable ingredients, with vinegar as a base, for example. You can also make your own cleaning solutions with eco-friendly ingredients like sodium bicarbonate, white vinegar, and essential oils. Here are some recipes to help you make your cleaning products.
- Turn off the tap when brushing your teeth or shaving. It’s an old piece of advice but an evergreen reminder: turn off that faucet! If you use a lot of water when brushing your teeth or shaving, or feel that you need it to rinse off the brush or razor frequently, consider using a small cup instead of running water.
- Bring houseplants into your apartment. Introducing some greenery into your apartment will not only bring vibrancy to your living environment, it will also help purify the air. Here’s a list of the most popular and best apartment plants.
- Swap out your current shower head for one that's more efficient. Today we can buy water-saving shower heads that still deliver powerful streams. Install one and watch your water bill go down.
Each step you take in your apartment like those listed above will bring you closer to living an environmentally friendly lifestyle. At Weidner Apartment Homes, we believe that making any step toward sustainable living can have a big impact. We're proud of the environmentally-friendly practices, products and services at our communities.
What are your favorite ways to achieve green living in your apartment? Let us know in the comments and share your tips with other apartment-dwellers at #LifeatWeidner