Winter isn’t just coming; it’s here! Perhaps it won’t be as dramatic as scenes from Game of Thrones, but we thought it would be a good idea to revisit tips on staying warm this winter.
What’s in Your Closet?
Before you head to the Great Outdoors, albeit for work or play, take a look through your closet and make sure you’ve got what you need to layer up. Stay cozy with long underwear and long tee shirts that are comfortable and fit to your body so you can add sweaters and coats without adding too much bulk. Remember to change out old gloves and hats that have lost their luster in past seasons and keep those feet, hands, and heads warm.
Recent technology will also help you layer with panache and efficiency. Now you don’t have to travel to the moon to enjoy NASA technology fashion for freezing conditions. “Developed from the NASA technology used for space suit insulation and the Mars Rovers, OROS has successfully made outerwear thinner, warmer and more flexible to help advance your adventures.” NASA fashions might also prove to be a good conversation starter at holiday parties.
Keeping Your Apartment Home Warm and Cozy
Here are some tips on keeping your apartment warmed up while also minding the utility bill:
- Let the sunshine in! During the day, leave the curtains and blinds open to absorb the sun’s natural warmth and close them up when the sun sets. Thermal curtains help keep the heat in.
- Indulge your inner chef and cook and bake at home. After dinner or dessert is heated through, turn the oven off and open its door and let the remaining heat escape into the apartment. Unless of course, you burned the lasagna, then skip this step!
- Change out your summer throw blankets for heavier fleeces, wools, and down.
- Close your closet doors! No need to heat your walk-in closet if you don’t need to.
- Seal drafty under-door areas and windows with towels or stoppers made for just that and do let your maintenance staff know if there are drafty windows and doors that aren’t shutting properly. We want to know!
- Consider investing in a heated blanket or go old-school and try a heated water bottle to warm up your bed at night.
Other Fun Ideas for Staying Warm in Winter
- Host a Soup Party Potluck and invite friends and neighbors over for a soup cook-off.
- Have your friends over for brunch with the stipulation that everyone dress in their flannel jammies and bring their favorite hot beverage.
- Stay active! Dance, get on the exercise bike, do interactive workouts, or suit up and embark on an outdoor adventure. Either way, you’ll warm up.
Share your winter wisdom tips with us at #LifeatWeidner and stay warm and safe out there!
-The Weidner Team