If you’ve never been “Elfed,” you haven’t experienced the holidays to their fullest – or so says the neighbor showing off their awesome basket of treats.
In its raw form, Elfing is a game of Pay-it-Forward mixed with a little Secret Santa. The game starts with one anonymous neighbor leaving a basket, bag, or box of treats for their neighbor with a note or poem on how to play the game, what to do next, and how to spread the cheer to the next neighbor. Organized Christmas and Pinterest have poems and printable “We’ve Been Elfed” signs to help you spread the holiday fun, or you can always make your own.
Elfing Gift Ideas
Traditionally, treats are defined as sweets like candy, gourmet popcorn, and cookies, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get creative! Here are a few easy gift ideas for Elfing your neighbor:
- Cozy, fun, colorful socks or hats. They come in a myriad of themes, sizes, and colors and are easy to transport. You could also fill them with wrapped candy treats.
- Herb garden kits for the kitchen window. The benefit of this gift is that it keeps on giving and when they start growing, you can borrow those same herbs.
- Fun, festive welcome mats.
- Garden Gnome, a traditional Secret Santa favorite.
- Coffee mugs filled with teas, coffees, and biscotti.
- Cookie jars filled with cookies or dog treat jars for pet lovers.
- Festive, blank journals.
- How-to Build a Snowman kit.
- Coloring books with crayons and pens.
- A basket of cooking utensils and a family recipe.
- A collection of cocoa mixes and a bag of marshmallows.
- Holiday Puzzles.
- Holiday hand towels and soaps.
Share Your Elfing Stories at #LifeatWeidner
We want to hear all about your Elfing ideas and how the game played out at your community at #LifeAtWeidner!
Have a safe and happy holiday, from your friends at Weidner.